According to the people at Idiot’s Guides the best possible outcome for a tattoo coverup will require some serious planning. Here are some of their suggestions:
- Size matters. The new tattoo design must be at least three or four times the size of your old tattoo.
- Plan on lots of ink. The new tattoo design must be a solid design with lots of coverage. You won’t be able to have too many negative (blank) spaces in the tattoo.
- Consider the colors. Warm colors like red, yellow, and orange don’t work well for covering tattoos. Cool colors like blue, green, purple are best for cover-ups.
- It takes time. It may take a second or third layer of tattooing to completely cover your old tattoo if it is really dark. Therefore, you need to have patience when getting a coverup done.
Since we know something about this, you’re getting the lowdown on removals right from the source:
- You influence the outcome. Removals do require proper aftercare for the best possible outcome.
- It’s all about timing. You will need to plan your removal around your activities. Your removal may need to be scheduled between vacations as you will need to keep the area clean and dry. In rare cases, you may need to take a few days off of work if your occupation could expose you to something that would interfere with the healing process.
- Understand what we consider successful. Successful removal means lightening the tattoo to the point where it is not obvious to the average onlooker. While many removal efforts achieve excellent results, the skin will not likely end up looking like “virgin skin” in the end — meaning the way it looked before you got the tattoo.
Which One to Choose?
Call us biased but we are leaning toward removal. Think about it. The tattoo you want to cover up now no longer represents you. This could happen to you again with your coverup. A second coverup would be nearly impossible, and a future removal would be even more time consuming since the density of the ink will have increased significantly. Finally, if you choose removal you will not need to rush or go through the trouble of deciding on a design in the event you need to get rid of your original tattoo as soon as possible. With tattoo removal, the only design you need to have in mind is skin.